Wednesday, June 18, 2014

On with the show...

I decided to try out this list format in an attempt to, you know, actually make a post. Hopefully it's not too big of a mess.
  • As of a few weeks ago, I finished my third year of college. I will also be 22 in three months. It’s all very weird because, though part of me feels like I have been in college for about 800 years (mostly because, much like Maggie, my college experience has not been super wonderful and I will be very disappointed if they’re the “best years of my life”), but at the same time, I feel like it was last week that I was fighting with my motorboard in the middle of my graduation speech in the AHS gym.
  • I’m taking summer classes for the first time this year and I mostly hate both of them because I mostly hate all college classes. But I’m finding solace in the fact that I only have to go to them 15 more times.
  • Six days after that last class day, I am seeing my favorite band–Mötley Crüe– in concert for the fifth and final time. I’m already stupidly emotional about it and am sure I will be downright unstable when the day actually comes. Like, possibly worse than other people in other cities because I’m seeing them in Dallas, which is where this video was filmed, and so they’re bound to say something about how Dallas is super important to them and I am just already crying basically. 
  • Instead of studying for my math test, I am currently watching VH1’s I Love the 2000s (love me some I Love the…s, y’all) and my desire to have the job of choosing which song is appropriate to play in the background during a topic is still so real. Example: they were talking about Blue Crush–which I have never seen, but apparently involves some girl having a bad surf accident and it being an ~issue~–and they played Bananarama’s “Cruel Summer.” #Bless.
  • Have y’all heard about these fab 90’s TV reboots/spinoffs? I’m not a fan of either of those avenues on the reg, but these are all things I loved the first go-around, so maybe it won’t be so bad? Afterall, I’ve been wrong before: like with the 2011 Fright Night remake.
  • And this Pixar movie?! Amy Poehler and Mindy Kaling as the Joy and Disgust of an 11-year-old girl? Y’all best believe I’ll pay the $10 price tag to see that one.
  • I’ve been watching a huge variety of movies lately (I always watch a huge amount of movies, but I’ve been trying to keep it diverse lately). From iconic ones like my first Wes Anderson (Moonrise Kingdom) and James Dean (Rebel Without a Cause) films to what Netflix seems to refer to as “late-night comedies” (21 & Over, Neighbors). And ones that were just unbelievably weird–for better (The Cabin in the Woods), worse (Holy Motors), or just the sake of strangeness (Electrick Children, Escape From Tomorrow). 
  • I also, like everyone else on the planet, saw The Fault in Our Stars Friday before last. Overall, I though it was a very good adaptation. There were a few things that could have made it better (where was “my thoughts are stars I can’t fathom into constellations,” I ask you?), but I appreciated that the writers didn’t take too many creative liberties with John’s story. I thought Shailene’s performance was wonderful and Ansel’s was even better. And, of course, I was already basically in love with Nat Wolff because of Stuck in Love and cannot wait to see him as Q in the Paper Towns (!!) adaptation. Also, how great was it seeing “based on a novel by John Green”? Arguably my highest level of proud-parent-feels-over-a-grown-adult since “based on a novel by JK Rowling.”
  • Finally, I try to keep “profane” language off of all of my accounts except one, but I couldn’t resist sharing this: The other day, I saw a gif-set of Brian May talking about Freddie Mercury being so ill when Queen recorded the song “The Show Must Go On” that Brian was worried Freddie wouldn’t be able to sing for the track. Freddie’s response? “For fuck’s sake, I’ll fucking do it, darling.” New life goal: to be as confident about anything ever as Freddie Mercury was about recording a song that was released six weeks before his death.

No comments:

Post a Comment