Thursday, October 5, 2017

There's something strange in your neighborhood

A lot of things are going on right now. The country is once again embroiled in an argument about gun control. The music world just lost another legend (RIP, Mr. Petty). I am in a constant state of panic over whether or not I will ever do anything of worth ever again.

Altogether, it is not a very chill time.

But, as always when lots of bad things are happening, lots of good things are happening too. If you're looking for a distraction from the chaos, here's a rundown of good things I've been watching/reading/listening to, plus some stuff to look forward to:

  • It's officially my favorite time of year: Halloween season! I love Halloween more than most things and definitely decorated my house as soon as it was socially acceptable (the first day of fall). For me, one of the best parts of October is marathoning all the best ~spooky~ movies. Aside from the classics -- Hocus Pocus, Practical Magic, The Addams Family, etc -- I suggest branching out and watching some you haven't seen! Here are some of my favorites that are often overlooked: The 'Burbs, Clue, Fright Night (1985), The Others, Something Wicked This Way Comes.


  • There's a lot of great stuff being written right now about Tom Petty and his impact, but this is my favorite thing I've read so far -- Stevie Nicks, talking about their friendship:
  •  ...And both of HAIM's newest videos, "Want You Back" and "Little of Your Love." I'm a sucker for synchronized dancing.

  • Last list, I said you should be watching You're The Worst. Another great FX/FXX offering? Better Things. It takes a blunt look at womanhood -- at all stages -- for what it actually is and manages to be incredibly funny along the way. Also OMG, please start watching The Good Place if you haven't already! It's one of the most original shows I've seen in a long time.
  • Speaking of TV, this is going to be a great month for it! I don't know when I became someone who watches multiple CW shows, but I do know I'm stoked for the new seasons of Riverdale and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend! (Plus, let's be real: I'm totally going to watch the Dynasty reboot.) And of course, this month is finally, finally, FINALLY the return of Stranger Things! I've missed my kids, y'all.
  • To wrap up, here's September's Spotify playlist. Like my music taste in general, it is a hot mess.
Happy Hallowmonth, boos! Make the most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment