Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Would you take a walk through the tombstones with me?

What's this? A blog post that isn't a "My [Blank] in Media"? With the old familiar: a song lyric title?

Yes, my friends. I did so much at SXSW this year that I couldn't possibly not write about it – and what's even better was it was my job. Like, I got a SXSW badge for free and got paid to cover stuff I would've been stoked to be at anyway. Yes, I might be bragging a little.

I kicked off my SX coverage on the first Friday by attending the activation for Amazon's forthcoming show, Good Omens, which was set up in what I assume is usually an empty lot. The 'Garden of Earthly Delights' included violinists and cellists playing Panic! at the Disco, very cute "hellhounds" and a ton of free stuff, from a tote bag to a full-size umbrella. It was awesome. Afterward, I worked an entire regular shift which almost killed me but didn't.

 On Saturday morning, I headed to the ZACH Theatre to see Pink Wall, the directorial debut of Tom Cullen, starring his girlfriend (the amazing) Tatiana Maslany and Jay Duplass. I liked it so much. I was afraid I was going in a little biased as a certified member of the Clone Club, but it was actually so good. Definitely one of those films that doesn't make you feel great, but that doesn't mean it isn't great, you know?

I honestly don't remember at all what I did Saturday afternoon, but I know it involved eating a very good, overpriced hamburger and writing my Pink Wall review in the bougey Mercedes-Benz media lounge in the convention center (shoutout for the free Dr Peppers). But Saturday night, I got to go to one of my fave events of the whole festival: "Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Event," also at the ZACH. Y'all, again, I cannot stress this enough: It was my job to sit in the same room as these delightful men. And yes: Everything Neil Gaiman says is perfect, David Tennant's Scottish accent is even better IRL and Jon Hamm really does look that good in a suit, while also having the audacity to be funny too.

After the Good Omens event, I ended up at an unreasonably swanky CBD-themed dinner. Because, you know, SX.

Sunday morning, I didn't intend to cover anything because I was working that night. But then Melany told me Alamo Drafthouse was doing a screening of The Beach Bum, the collaboration between Harmony Korine and Matthew McConaughey, after which both of them and others would be doing a Q&A. Basically no Texas girl can resist McConaughey, least of all me, so obviously I went. The movie itself is absolutely ridiculous, but in a way I still enjoyed. McConaughey in person is even more ridiculous and more enjoyable.

On Monday, I had originally intended to cover the Shrill premiere, but about halfway through the day, I found myself going, "You know what? I just want to have fun today." And I did! I spent the afternoon wandering around downtown, listening for music I wanted to check out. Which led me to stumble upon Big Wy's Brass Band, one of my favorite finds of the week. They 100% seem like frat boys who, after too many PBRs, decided to randomly get great at brass and woodwind instruments. They're very good. They cover "Bye Bye Bye" and call themselves a "brass boy band." I love them.

Monday night, I went with Bryan to see Sword of Trust, a movie I knew nothing about except that it starred Marc Maron and had something to do with the Confederacy. It's much better than that pitch implies, but I can't full explain why, so I'll let Bryan do it. Caution: spoilers abound.


Tuesday, I saw Little Monsters, which I thought I would love, but didn't. I also briefly ended up at an NPR Tiny Desk concert in a church because, again, SX. And then I saw Joan Jett because when you're given the opportunity to see Joan Jett on a Tuesday night in the misty rain, you do it. She remains one of the coolest people on the planet.

Wednesday was a killer day. I saw the world premiere of Nothing Stays the Same: The Story of the Saxon Pub in the Paramount (a beautiful building that is terrible for SX screenings) with a bunch of locals who made the screening feel like a concert. It was delightful. At one point in the day, I ate some very good and almost painfully spicy hot chicken. Later, I spent approximately 10 minutes at a K-Pop event that took me about 30 minutes to get to.

And then at the end of the night, I went to see The Dirty Nil on Bryan's suggestion. It ended up being one of my best choices of the week because they are so good. I've had their albums on repeat for days. Also, on stage, their lead singer/guitarist wears one of the best shirts I've ever seen.

I had to work regular shifts on Thursday and Friday, so Saturday was my last day of SX craziness. I worked a full shift, then headed to Still Austin Whiskey Co. to see Bryan play in his latest band, Reen and the Renegades.

Then we both headed back downtown to attend the Pet Sematary premiere. The entire Internet will have you believe that remake is good, but here's the thing: it isn't.

Once we were done yelling at length about what a waste of time that film was to watch, we headed to a show on Rainey, where we ended up meeting David Fricke from Rolling Stone. Casual! NBD! I wanted to catch Quiet Company's set, but we missed it (for that very good reason!), so we went to a weird hip-hop showcase for exactly the amount of time it took me to drink one Eastcider. Then it was time to head home, away from the madness.

I'm still tired and probably still not properly nourished. I spent too many minutes in Lyfts and so much time on my feet. But it was so much fun. I'm so grateful that I got to spend an entire week doing what I love.

Life is pretty cool sometimes, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment