Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Let's keep the night from leaving

I had an extra day off this week because I have one less day off next week, so here's a little rundown of what I've been up to:

* I've already seen 11 movies this month, and I've also finished two books. More on all that to come in the regularly scheduled "My [Blank] in Media" post.

Have you watched 'Dead To Me' yet? You should definitely watch 'Dead To Me.' I finished it all in one weekend, and it's so good. Also, if it inspires you to watch more things that the cast has been in, I recommend the Christina Applegate-led '90s cult classic 'Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead,' which greatly impacted my fashion sense and is currently on HBO.

I've been casually rereading Rob Sheffield's 'Turn Around Bright Eyes: The Rituals of Love & Karaoke' which, like all things Sheffield, remains great. Sample: "['Livin' on a Prayer' and 'Don't Stop Believin'] express the karaoke worldview at its most extreme. The idea of a lost and lonely solitary voice, fading into a massive communal chorus, lifted up by all these other streetlight people. We're all just strangers wandering through the night, with nothing except this song to bring us together. But we've got each other, and that's a lot."

I just kept adding my recent Spotify monthly playlists together, so I decided to go ahead and turn March/April/May into "Spring 2019." I might make it a regular thing because I kind-of like the idea of examining my listening habits by season. Standouts: I've been regularly listening to CRJ's 'Dedicated' (but mostly "Too Much"), Aly & AJ's 'Sanctuary' (but mostly "Not Ready to Wake Up") and a lot of DNCE and Jonas Brothers.

I've gotten into doing this thing where I share my favorite Instagram posts of (approximately) the week on my stories, and I don't know if anyone else likes looking at them, but I like doing it so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This weekend, I went to the Austin Record Convention – allegedly the largest record sale in the country (it was, in fact, massive) – and purchased the 'Fast Times at Ridgemont High' soundtrack, Lynyrd Skynyrd's 'Gold & Platinum' and Aerosmith's 'Live! Bootleg' on vinyl + a handful of band pins because I'll always be who I was when I was 14.

Things I should be saving for: a new computer, unfortunately, as mine is still working but now says it has "no battery available" (LOL) and trying to replace a battery in an eight-year-old computer sounds like a losing battle. Also a new skillet because mine is in rough shape. Things I want to be saving for instead: some sort of kitschy paper towel holder; a new dresser (mine has been through A Lot), preferably vintage, maybe mirrored?; and clothes that will not make me feel like I am slowly melting into the sidewalk.

Cool things I've got coming up: seeing The Dirty Nil on Tuesday at The Parish; Maggie, Melany and Dylan's "housecooling party" in June; and Aly & AJ at The Mohawk the next night.

No comments:

Post a Comment