Thursday, August 29, 2019

My August in Media

Horror movies and soft indies are my two moods.

The Invitation
"Something very dangerous is happening here and no one is talking about it." This had been in my Netflix queue for approximately 100 years, but I'm glad I finally watched it. Everyone in this movie just radiates negative energy and even though you can't be exactly sure what's going to happen, you know it isn't going to be good. Good pacing, good acting, good ending.

Into the Dark: New Year, New You
I don't know why I keep watching these, but I guess I'm just going to continue. This one walked a tightrope between good and bad. The story itself was fresh and interesting and the critique of Influencer Culture is deserved. But the camera kept doing these weird zooms and pans? If it was an intentional reference to the way reality TV is shot, bravo but...I doubt it. The acting was also a little choppy and the whole "we're going to put a scar on international supermodel Suki Waterhouse's face so you know she's Damaged" thing was gross.

What They Had
This was very good. It made me sad and scared about what happens to brains as they get older, optimistic about how long love can last and a little stressed because I am the oldest child in my family and know that all of the tough decisions about my parents are going to one day fall on me. Also, Hilary Swank and Michael Shannon make surprisingly perfect siblings.

Before Sunrise
As a long-time Linklater enthusiast and someone who once took a class called "Independent American Cinema," it's kind-of crazy I made it this long without watching the Before trilogy. Before Sunrise is good. In the vein of When Harry Met Sally..., it's a story about how romantic good conversation is and serves as a reminder that that's one thing humans have over other creatures. The chemistry between Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy is sparking and the film comes across almost like a documentary. They're just walking around talking, being young, dramatic and charming.

Before Sunset
Before Sunset is the perfect follow-up. I'm not 32 yet, but I can already feel the immense difference between myself now and at 23 and I can't imagine how much wider the gap will feel in five years. Jesse and CĂ©line are the same people they were in Before Sunrise and also completely different, strangers to those kids in Vienna. Nine years is a long time. The thing I noticed most was, rather than just saying their thoughts like they did in Sunrise, they reference things they've read. "I'm grown-up, I read things, I know things," they seem to be saying to each other, "I know enough to feel less." (This film also feels like it goes by much faster than Sunrise, but they're almost the same length.)

Wanda Sykes: Not Normal
Sometimes, when I've had a rough day/week/etc, I'll turn to comedy specials (and also Drunk History, a perfect show). This one was light, even when talking about the State of the World (spoiler alert: it's not normal) and it made me LOL a lot.

My Own Private Idaho
"River Phoenix and Keanu Reeves play hustlers and River's character is in love with Keanu's" sounds perfect on paper. But this movie is really weird. All of the directing choices are odd, it's (vaguely?) based on Shakespeare – which means Keanu is doing Shakespeare and basically no one else is – and River's character is narcoleptic for...some reason. But. River Phoenix makes me sad all the time because he truly was a stunning talent and it's heartbreaking that we didn't get to see the great career he definitely would have had. The scene in the woods is a spiritual sequel to the one in Stand By Me (which gets me every time), and it's tragic.

Ginger Snaps
I feel like I'd been waiting to see this for 1,000 years. I'm a very vocal disciple of Jennifer's Body, and I'd seen this film repeatedly compared to that one. And listen: it's not as good as Jennifer's Body. But it's still good. The opening sequence is jarring at first, but overall, it's clever – the "monthly curse," y'all, I was dying – and entertaining. Hell is a teenage girl, etc. (Also, team practical effects, forever.)

Ready or Not*
Incredibly my thing. This film had one of the best uses of costuming I've seen in a while; great music choices; good, resourceful gore; and a great final line. It wasn't quite as funny as I expected it to be, but it struck a good balance. I've also spent a truly absurd amount of my life preoccupied with "The Most Dangerous Game," and this film is that but more fun.

Also this month: I finished reading Red, White & Royal Blue, and it was as heart-clutchingly nice as everyone has said. I also read Lauren Groff's Florida in just a couple of days and thoroughly enjoyed most of it. Finally, I started reading Bellweather Rhapsody, which I'm not very far into but am enjoying so far.

I also saw Carly Rae Jepsen again this month, technically by myself but in the same room as like, half the people I know. She was as cute and sparkly as ever, and it was a blissful couple of hours of dancing like a maniac and forgetting all worries. I also saw Bryan play in yet another band, Most Modern, while wearing way better makeup than me. Here are this summer's jams (plus Lover, duh).

My niece, Luna Rose, was also born this month (!!), which is absolutely bananas.

Overall, August was a tumultuous month and, if I'm being real, it's been a pretty difficult summer. I'm excited for September, which includes my birthday (27!) and a solo trip to Denver, where I've never been before. ACL is also, somehow, just around the corner again and I'll be working at it this year, which is crazy considering I went last year just days after having my interview for my current job.

Life is weird. Bring on spooky season.

No comments:

Post a Comment