Saturday, April 3, 2021

March in Review

March was tough, right? It seems like everyone I know was in a funk as our bodies clocked the one-year anniversary of this weird half-life we've all been living. I know that was definitely the case for me and added worries about personal and work-related things just compounded it all into me feeling like garbage for most of the month.

Because of all that, it was hard for me to do much of anything, including watch movies, for at least the first half the month. I think my brain was also low-key on strike because I would normally be watching festival movies at SXSW. 

But by the end of the month, I felt like I was starting to get my groove back. I also got my first dose of vaccine on April 1 (!!!), so I'm starting to feel a little bit more cautiously optimistic overall.

Moxie

I love these radicalized children. I thought this movie was cool! I hope young girls see it and feel the way I did when I read Whip It in high school. Also, duh, Kit was also my favorite American Girl.

Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar

I watched this with my best friends, who I hadn't hung out with in a year, while sipping a margarita – clearly the best way to experience it with the exception of being in an actual movie theater. However silly you think this movie probably is, it's 100 times sillier. I also cannot be convinced this sort of thing isn't what Jamie Dornan has wanted to be doing all along.

Private Benjamin

I had seen a bit of this as a kid because my mom loves this movie, but I'm so glad I watched the whole thing as an adult. It's very funny and a little sly too – full of sneaky feminist statements. Goldie Hawn and Eileen Brennan (who I previously knew only as the funniest part of Clue, one of the funniest movies I've ever seen) are both perfect. 

The United States vs. Billie Holiday

Oof. They can't all be winners, y'all. Billie Holiday's story is one worth telling and I'm glad I got to learn more about her. And Andra Day does a good job with the script she was given, especially considering it's her first major role. But this movie is a mess. So badly made that I low-key felt like I was losing my mind. There's a reason that despite being Oscar catnip on paper, it's nominated for one award and that's for Day's performance, which will almost definitely win.

Minari

I really wanted to be blown away by Minari, but I just wasn't. It's undeniably good, but it didn't wow me in the way some of the other "Best Picture" nominees have (Nomadland, The Sound of Metal). It is, however, the first time I can recall seeing a family in a movie live in a mobile home without the connotation that they are "trash." My childhood home was a mobile home and seeing this (slightly) more positive representation meant a lot to me.

The Descent

For some reason, I've had this idea in my head for half my life that I saw this movie when I was in the 8th grade. But, apparently, I did not. The scene I've been able to remember all this time is not, in fact, even in this movie. I don't know what movie it is in or if it's even real. What I do know is that this movie is good. There were a lot of elements I really enjoyed, but I especially loved the lighting and the human vs. nature vs. human nature aspect. Nature will always defeat you, but it's other people you really have to worry about.

Attack the Block

This movie has a great concept, a great debut performance by John Boyega and it reminded me a bit of the Cornetto Trilogy (and not just because of Nick Frost). It didn't keep me fully interested the whole time, but I liked it overall.

Murder on the Orient Express (2017)

This movie is terrible. Don't watch this movie. I'll admit I had the slightest bias – I had just finished reading the book, which is quite different – but even if I hadn't, I still would've thought this movie was bad for a number of reasons. I could probably write a whole separate blog post about it, but I won't.

Godzilla vs. Kong

I was honestly stoked to watch this movie and it gave me basically everything I wanted. Kong: Skull Island is still the superior Monsterverse movie, but I'd probably rank this one second. It didn't have quite as big of a people problem as Godzilla: King of Monsters and while the story got a little convoluted once or twice, it mostly stayed on course. Most importantly: the monsters are big and cool.

Basically the only TV I watched in March was episodes of The X Files and Game of Thrones that I have seen several times. It really was a rough month.

I have been reading a lot so far this year though, which I'm really proud of. I've read 10 books so far, which is way more than I historically have by April. In March, I finished Twilight of the Gods by Stephen Hyden (mostly great and I have a new respect for Bruce Springsteen) and Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (she really is fantastic). 

I also started casually rereading I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson, one of my favorite books I've ever read, which I was honestly a little apprehensive to re-read out of fear it wouldn't be as good the second time. Fortunately, it is. I also read all of Trick Mirror: Reflections on Self Delusion by Jia Tolentino, a collection I mostly liked.

Now I'm reading On Writing by Stephen King, which I expect to adore.

No comments:

Post a Comment