Wednesday, June 2, 2021

May in Review

May was a pretty difficult month with bright flashes of good things. Interestingly, the movies I watched during the month seem to reflect that. I watched a lot of meh movies, a few I didn't enjoy much or at all and one or two good ones.

Like with everything else, I'm trying to be slower and a bit more intentional with what I watch this year and my Twitter list shows it. I've watched less than half as many movies as I had this time last year (42 vs. 90). While it felt like a cool accomplishment to say I watched exactly 200 movies and short films for the first time by the end of last year, I feel really great about not trying for anything close to that this year. I'd much rather leave my apartment more.

Flightplan

First of all, airports and occasionally airplanes make me very anxious, so if one single scene of this movie happened on a plane I was on, I would have a panic attack. As for the movie itself, there were a lot of elements that weren't great, but it did keep me interested the whole time.

Never Rarely Sometimes Always

This was a very raw, often tough to watch film. There is one agonizing scene early on that I will be thinking about for a long time. Sidney Flanigan is a star, as is Talia Ryder in her supporting role.

The Woman in the Window

A movie featuring Amy Adams, Julianne Moore and Jennifer Jason Leigh should at least be not terrible, right? Unfortunately, not the case. This movie is very bad and not even in a fun way. Also, based on recent choices, I would like to speak to Amy's agent.

Those Who Wish Me Dead

Not bad! I really enjoyed Taylor Sheridan's quasi-western Hell or High Water and this one has similar vibes, but it's not as good. I also feel like it had been a really long time since I'd seen Angeline Jolie in a movie, and I enjoyed seeing her remind me that she's a Movie Star™.

Army of the Dead

The opening 20 or so minutes of this are fantastic and what I hoped the movie would be. Then 120+ more minutes happen.

The Intern

Sometimes, I set arbitrary goals for myself – and that’s how I’ve now seen every full-length movie Nancy Meyers has directed that doesn’t star Mel Gibson. This isn't close to the best work of anyone involved, but it's fine.

Saint Maud

The thing about this movie is that I went into it knowing that it was highly likely I wouldn't like it, but I watched it anyway. It was what I expected it to be, a type of indie horror movie I'm not a fan of (see: my take on Hereditary). However, Morfydd Clark and Jennifer Ehle give performances that are a little better than the writing deserves. You'll know from the trailer if it's for you.

Cruella

Does this movie need to exist? No. Should it exist? Probably not. But as for the question "who is it for?," the answer is me. A Disney villain origin story with a messy, mediocre plot, starring two quality actresses clearly having the time of their lives, overflowing with '70s punk-inspired costumes and a killer soundtrack? Yes, ok, thank you. Also, I’ve seen a lot of uses of “I Wanna Be Your Dog,” but this might be the best one yet.

Bo Burnham: Inside

Absolutely the standout of the month. Netflix said, "We've been slacking, but you know who's loyal? Bo Burnham fans." Burnham is so talented in so many different ways that it’s actually a little ridiculous, and this special featuring some comedy is cathartic, simultaneously reassuring and concerning. It's really something.

I finished Happy Endings and I'm sad about. I also casually rewatched some Buffy, intentionally rewatched The Bold Type to prep for the final season (RIP) and got accidentally addicted to the Freeform mystery-drama Cruel Summer. Tim and I also continued to rewatch Game of Thrones (we've made it to the final season) and started Mare of Easttown just as it was wrapping up for everyone else.

I ended up quitting Little Weirds by Jenny Slate because it wasn't doing it for me, but I finished I Want to Be Where the Normal People Are Are by Rachel Bloom. I also read all of The Burning Girls by C.J. Tudor, which I liked. I was able to figure out some of the mysteries pretty quickly, but it toyed with my expectations in other places. 

Tim and I have started a new Agatha Christie novel (The ABC Murders), I'm currently reading The Jigsaw Man by Nadine Matheson (intriguing so far) and I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my copy of One Last Stop by Casey McQuiston and the release of Survive the Night by Riley Sager.

And aside from just Olivia Rodrigo's Sour on repeat, here's what I've been listening to lately.

Finally, happy Pride Month! I'm going to do my best to try to resist the rainbow-patterned products pushed on me by corporations and focus more on community-based actions like supporting LGBTQ+ creators and businesses and learning more queer history. Let's actually elevate this community we're supposed to be celebrating, OK?

No comments:

Post a Comment