Friday, January 26, 2018

I'm just curious -- is it serious?

Job update: the search is still on. I've sent in a couple of applications so far this year -- some that seemed really promising -- but still no offers.

I'm trying to remain as optimistic as possible about it though. 2017 wasn't my year (at all), but 2018 is a new one and an unpromising start doesn't mean all hope is lost. My friend Margaux always has the best responses when I'm bummed about rejections. The other day, she put it simply: "You just weren't meant to be there." Definitely a better way to look at it than what I tend toward.

(However, before I move on, a pet peeve of mine: when people ask, "How is the job search going?" The answer is always going to be "bad" because if it were going well, I would be employed, not searching for a job. That's just common sense. Don't ask people this. This has been a PSA.)

Anyway, aside from that, lately:

  • I've been binge-watching Halt and Catch Fire on Netflix. And I'm super into it! I didn't expect a show about the computer/Internet industries in the '80s to really suck me in, but it totally has. Plus, it has Lee Pace, so I mean...c'mon 😍
  • Speaking of Lee Pace, I've also been rewatching Pushing Daisies and it is just so good. No show deserves a revival more than this one. Hollywood, get on this.
  • I've technically started reading Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher, but I haven't gotten very far. I need to make a better effort to read instead of just clicking "next episode" all the time. I'm trying to read 15 books this year (five more than 2017) and according to Goodreads, I'm already "behind," so I've got to do better.
  • I am doing great working toward my movie goal for this year though. I managed to watch 120 in 2017 and am aiming for 130 this year -- and I've already seen seven just this month! This year, I'm also trying to make a conscious effort to actually write more things -- published for profit or not -- so I've been writing little recaps for each of this year's films. I plan to publish those on January 31, so stay tuned for that 👀  I'll add my January Spotify playlist to that post as well! 
  • I've been hyped about: Meryl Streep joining Big Little Lies; James Franco being edited out of the Vanity Fair Hollywood issue; Casey Affleck not presenting at the Oscars; the Oscars themselves (those nominations!!); Fall Out Boy's new album being surprisingly (but fittingly) better than I expected; my nephew walking like a cartoon cowboy

Stay excellent!

No comments:

Post a Comment