Tuesday, July 24, 2018

You'll always be my favorite ghost

Some things I'm loving right now:

  • Air conditioning, duh, because it's July and I live in Texas
  • Watching Parts Unknown episodes, starting with the North America-based ones
  • This blooper reel from The X Files season 11
  • The Appetites of Girls by Pamela Moses
  • Hannah Gadsby's Nanette, Cameron Esposito's Rape Jokes and logging everything I watch on Letterboxd
  • This shirt and this dress, both from Target, which I bought because I was having a closet crisis
  • Sharp Objects, which is A Lot™, but incredible
  • Chrissy Teigen's cookbook, Cravings (I made homemade chicken noodle soup and a Dutch baby pancake this weekend and they were both delicious and I still can't believe I made them)
  • Panic! at the Disco's new album, Pray for the Wicked, and especially "Hey Look Ma, I Made It" and its ridiculous video
Related, here's the Best of What I've Read lately:

  • Back in May, Variety published this cool look at the recent boom in real bisexual representation on TV
  • Hayley Williams is wonderful (duh) and so is this beautiful, raw essay she wrote on mental health.
  • This Ultimate Classic Rock piece on the Last Action Hero soundtrack is super interesting! I've always loved that soundtrack -- separate from its film -- and it's cool to see it get some recognition for its twenty-fifth anniversary.  
  • This New Yorker piece is a beautiful tribute to Anthony Bourdain and what made (/makes) him such a cool guy. 
  • Love this piece from Dana Schwartz side-eyeing the inherent sexism of the "guilty pleasure" label and how it doesn't apply to her book, Choose Your Own Disaster (which I'm excited to read!). 
  • Also enjoyed this conversation between Taylor Swift, the songwriter, and Patti Boyd, the iconic muse.
  • Another super interesting piece: this look at how we owe our current music video landscape to, ironically, the death of MTV as a music video platform.
  • This piece on the beauty and relevancy of Coco is almost as beautiful as Coco itself.
  • And finally, this NYT piece by GLOW actress Betty Gilpin about buying a 1834 farmhouse and so much more is fantastic. Give this woman a book deal, stat.
Stay cool out there, y'all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment