Friday, June 29, 2018

My June in Film

Please Stand By
This movie features several actors I like a lot (Dakota Fanning, Toni Collette, Patton Oswalt) and centers loosely on a passion for Star Trek, so I went into it thinking I would at least kind-of like it. Overall, it's simple and nice enough -- though it is always a little uncomfortable watching an actor pretend to have a disorder or disability...Also, a note: this isn't a comedy, as it has been labeled. I didn't cry while watching it or anything, but I don't think I laughed either.

Paris is Burning
After watching the pilot for Pose -- a show that's off to a good start, but about which I'm cautious because...it is a Ryan Murphy show -- I decided it was finally time to watch the OG examination of New York ball culture. I'm so glad I did. This documentary is terribly sad and inspiring all at once. I loved getting to know these iconic queens and getting a better understanding of what ball culture is. And I especially loved learning about the classism and generational differences within the ball community. Turns out, every group has older members who think the young kids are doing it wrong.

Ocean's 8*
So. Much. Fun. A blast from start to finish. Plus...Cate Blanchett, y'all.

All Good Things
I liked this "based on a true story" thriller, but it mostly just made me want to do a research deep-dive into the facts of the real case (highly recommend doing this). In general, Ryan Gosling and Kirsten Dunst are good as "terrifying jaded man" and "terrified jaded woman," respectively, and the movie is basically carried by the way they convey tension in their faces and actions. Definitely could have done without the last 20 minutes or so though.

Set It Up
By now you've probably seen 100 headlines about how this movie is going to spark a rom-comissance (no one has actually used that phrase yet, to my knowledge, but I'm trying to make fetch happen). I agree with all of them. This movie goes above and beyond its cliché premise to be sweet, charming and actually very funny. Does not hurt that all four leads are incredibly attractive.

Aliens
I watched Alien for the first time in April and enjoyed it for its more cerebral approach to sci-fi and the joy of watching a sci-fi cornerstone. Aliens is a good, very action-y follow-up. Ellen Ripley is a straight-up badass and also manages to do everything she does fully clothed for almost the duration of two whole films?? Amazing! Are we sure all modern action directors have seen these films? Also, Bill Paxton is a damn gem in this. Every line he says is hilarious.

The First Time
This film is silly, sweet and better than I expected it to be. It isn't revelatory or heart-wrenching, but it'll make you feel good. Gets by on Dylan O'Brien and Britt Robertson's real-life chemistry -- they've been together since they met on set in 2011! Aw, #love.

Under the Tuscan Sun
I had kind-of a romance theme going on in June. This one is film comfort food. Not super remarkable, maybe, but it's filled with beautiful Italian landscapes, love, wine and home renovation, so what more could you really want? Bonus: Diane Lane is one of the most beautiful people I've ever seen and she consistently lights up every screen she's on.

Hannah Gadsby: Nanette
I didn't really know what I was getting into when I started watching this film. I still didn't about 30 minutes in. But from the minute Hannah announces she's not going to do self-depreciating humor anymore, this film is a rollercoaster. It's laugh-out loud funny and crushingly sad, often at the same time. I could go into detail about what makes Hannah's story such a poignant one, but you should really just watch it yourself.

Also this month, I binged all of The United States of Tara (Toni Collette is an international treasure), started watching Angels in America (great, but difficult) and listened to these songs, plus my ~Summer Vibes~ playlist and NPR's 2018 Roséwave one.

No comments:

Post a Comment