Tuesday, May 8, 2018

My April in Film

Ready Player One*
It's apparently super Popular and Cool to hate on this movie -- but whatever, I liked it. It's bright and flashy and pretty ridiculous, but super fun. There's nothing wrong with watching a movie just to enjoy it.

9 to 5
I'd wanted to see this movie for ages because I figured if it was even half as good as its amazing theme song, I'd love it. It's probably one of the silliest movies I've ever seen, but in a good way. It's very fun, often very funny and repeatedly made me ask the question, "WHEN is Dolly Parton going to guest star on Grace and Frankie??" Get on this, Netflix.

Girls Trip
When Girls Trip came out, it seemed like everyone who saw it adored it. And now I understand why. It's hysterical. I was laughing out loud the entire time, almost always at Tiffany Haddish. Every second we aren't celebrating her is a second wasted. Even more important than its humor, though, is what a great celebration of female friendship it is! I was surprised to find I was tearing up a little toward the end.

Little Women (1994)
I admit I've never read Little Women or seen the original film, but I enjoyed this one! I've said before that period pieces are not really my jam, but I don't mind them as much when they aren't about #TRAGIC romances. The March women are iconic for a reason and I loved them immediately. Also: why don't we talk more about what a great speaking voice Christian Bale has?

Mermaids
Apparently, I'm on a Winona Ryder kick. Unfortunately, her character in Mermaids is ridiculously annoying -- but on the bright side, Cher basically plays herself and is therefore fabulous and Christina Ricci was the cutest little kid. I didn't love this movie, but its overall decent and the aesthetics (New England fall, great eyeshadow looks, 1960s cars and kitschy decor) are great. It is, however, about 20 minutes too long.

Wet Hot American Summer
I watched this movie late at night with friends, which is, I think, the best way to experience it. It's completely ridiculous, an absolute farce -- as one friend put it, "No one in this movie is sincere at all" -- and, for the most part, it pulls it off. Though I might be forever scarred by the Molly Shannon storyline and the weird way Paul Rudd "kisses" in this movie.

Alien
I had tried to watch Alien once before and didn't get very far because it gets off to an INCREDIBLY slow start. But, it hits it stride about 30 minutes in. I liked that it was more cerebral than a lot of today's action and/or sci-fi films because it literally couldn't rely on too many flashy effects. That being said, it reminded me of so many of the sci-fi films and TV shows I've seen, and it was fun to realize it's because all of them were inspired by this one. Also, Ripley is the coolest, duh.

I also finished three books: Steal the North by Heather Brittain Bergstrom, a strange, sad, multigenerational story about love, culture and family; Carrie by Stephen King, a classic that I loved even more than I expected to; and Highly Illogical Behavior by John Corey Whaley, a sweet YA book by an author I adore. I also watched an insane amount of Game of Thrones (am now caught up and don't know what to do with myself), saw Bowling for Soup live and listened to these songs. Am now listening to Dirty Computer on repeat just like everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment