Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Sunsets fade, and love does to

It never hurts to focus on the things you love, right? Today, I'm loving...

  • 1960s eye makeup looks, largely inspired by Cher in Mermaids
  • Earl Grey tea, which I've lately been drinking instead of coffee
  • The silver mesh booties I bought myself for no reason last month
  • Playing the silly Monopoly game my local grocery stores are running
  • The tour photos Harry Styles has been posting
  • This Twitter account that promises "a new picture of Tessa Thompson as a goat every day"
  • Kacey Musgraves's Golden Hour, Hayley Kiyoko's Expectations and the video for Lizzo's "Fitness"
  • Counting down the days until I get to see Austin, my friends and Bowling for Soup!

While we're at it, here's the Best of What I've Read so far this month:

  • I love Dwayne Johnson. You love Dwayne Johnson. We all love Dwayne Johnson. This Rolling Stone profile gets at why. (See also: this GQ profile from last year, which is one of my fave pieces of all time.)
  • Entertainment Weekly took a look at 70 of their favorite TV shows and picked the best season of each. It's a fun romp through TV history and of the shows I've seen, I agree with almost all of their picks (except Bones -- Bones without my beloved Sweets isn't Bones at all). 
  • April 4 marked five years since the great Roger Ebert passed away. How great? Check out this quote from his review of The Tree of Life: "Some few films evoke the wonderment of life’s experience, and those I consider a form of prayer. Not prayer 'to' anyone or anything, but prayer 'about' everyone and everything. I believe prayer that makes requests is pointless. What will be, will be. But I value the kind of prayer when you stand at the edge of the sea, or beneath a tree, or smell a flower, or love someone, or do a good thing. Those prayers validate existence and snatch it away from meaningless routine." I MEAN. Want more? You can read all of his other reviews here. I especially love his takes on Halloween ('79), Almost Famous, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and Juno.
  • This piece on Busy Philipps' career trajectory from de facto "best friend" to Insta-famous mom is fascinating. If you don't already follow her, you're in for a treat.
  • Rob Sheffield does a great job of explaining why the original version of Roseanne was so important, why the reboot is garbage and why you should just watch Lady Bird instead.
  • Molly Ringwald wrote a fantastic (and thoroughly reported) op-ed about revisiting the John Hughes films that defined her youth -- and most of ours -- in the age of #MeToo. It tackles the crass parts of the films with frankness, while still recognizing that they were and are important. Molly asks, "How are we meant to feel about art that we both love and oppose?" It's a great question.

No comments:

Post a Comment