Monday, April 2, 2018

My March in Film

I'm up to 29 films this year!

Like February, I watched 10 films in March -- mostly sci-fi and thrillers, with a few rom-coms and documentaries for good measure.

Jaws
Apparently a missed some of this movie, but I watched most of it, so it counts. Because let's be real: everyone's kind-of seen Jaws. It's the original summer blockbuster and one of the most famous movies of all time. If you miss some of it, you can figure it out. But this was the first time I'd ever sat and watched any of it intentionally -- and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it! I figured the more than 40 years since its release were sure to show, from the writing to the shark itself, but I was wrong. It's still a fun, gripping watch (especially with the help of its iconic theme) that even holds a few surprises.

Table 19
I'm a sucker for Anna Kendrick. Proof: Table 19 is the sixteenth Kendrick film I've seen. I'd been intrigued by this one since I first saw the trailer, and it turned out to be a pretty good installment into what I'm now dubbing the (potential) Rom-Comissance. It definitely skews a little more "indie" than "Hollywood," with each of the characters dealing with some pretty heavy stuff, but it still manages to be fluffy enough to not get you down. About halfway through, I was afraid it was going to go off the rails because of a certain plot point -- but it rallied and ended up a stronger movie for it. A decent choice for a light, movie-and-chill night.

Wishful Drinking
I read the novelization of Carrie Fisher's one-woman show earlier this year and loved it. Like most things Carrie, it was extremely funny, even when dealing with issues that are anything but. The film version -- a taping of the show -- was even better. Turns out the only thing funnier than Carrie Fisher's stories is watching Carrie tell them.

Bright Lights: Starring Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds
After I watched Wishful Drinking, it seemed only right to watch this one. What an emotional journey! It was beautiful, entertaining and, at times, heartbreaking. The world got a little less glittery when we lost these two -- what fantastical women they were.

Love, Simon*
My main takeaways from Love, Simon are that it's delightful and that everyone should see it -- preferably in theaters. It's a film that's long overdue, with such heavy expectations on it that it could've fallen flat...but it doesn't. It's sweet, fluffy and incredibly charming, while also managing to address some things that Hollywood usually glosses over (/ignores/misinterprets). I'm so happy today's youth have it. Bonus points: it has a perfect soundtrack.

Moon
I was a little biased going into this one because I love Sam Rockwell and sci-fi. But it's genuinely really good! It checks a lot of boxes: a compelling, unpredictable story; beautiful cinematography and music; and an incredibly affecting performance by Rockwell. It poses some big Science Fiction™ questions you'll still be thinking about when it's over. (Plus, fun fact, it's the directorial debut of Duncan Jones, son of David Bowie. Very fitting that the Starman's kid made a movie about space.)

Never Let Me Go
I took a chance on this movie and it surprised me. I assumed it was a pretty straightforward romantic period piece, which is a genre I'm not too fond of. But I was wrong. Bolstering the tragic love triangle is a sinister dystopian/utopian story -- and an extremely interesting one at that. I've never seen a film that sets this type of sci-fi in the past, having it somehow inform every aspect of the story without ever really being at the forefront. Give this one a chance. (But be warned: dystopian/utopian stories are depressing and so are tragic romances. This film is both, so it's not...a happy tale.)

Thelma & Louise
There isn't much I can say about the Importance of Thelma & Louise that hasn't already been said. It remains one of the most famous women-driven films ever and for good reason. It's a film about women taking action -- against attackers, against monotony, against expectations. It isn't a perfect film -- it's a bit too long, the acting isn't always good, that iconic ending is messy and weird -- but it's a film that needs to exist and one that serves as a template for the kind of story we still need more of.

Begin Again
Don't judge a movie by its (bad) marketing! The trailer for this film makes it look like a traditional, cheesy rom-com. But it's actually so much better than that. It's a love letter in parts: to finding a good connection at a bad time in your life; to the art of making music; to the importance of chasing a spark of inspiration; to New York City. It also made me want to write love letters to Mark Ruffalo and Keira Knightley, both international treasures we don't deserve. It's a very good movie. (Bonus: There's something a little cheeky about Adam Levine playing a musician who used to make soulful music and starts making "stadium pop.")

Super Dark Times
I knew I wanted to see Super Dark Times from the moment I saw its compelling trailer, so I was super excited when it appeared on Netflix. Thankfully, it was as interesting as I hoped it would be. The cinematography is beautiful. The story is tense and well-paced. The young actors do a great job of transforming from carefree and (incredibly) crass teenagers to rapidly unraveling conspirators. The film does trip up a few times, but it's nothing too major. It's worth the watch, especially for fans of We Need to Talk About Kevin.

I also finished four books in March, wrapped up watching the final season of The X Files (RIP) and the latest season of American Crime Story (Versace is a mess, but Darren Criss is electrifying), binged the new season of Santa Clarita Diet (still amazing) and discovered these jams.

Bring it on, April!

No comments:

Post a Comment