Tuesday, June 5, 2018

My May in Film

My May in Film was all over the place -- several films I liked a lot, two films I didn't like at all and a surprising amount of stand-up comedy!

John Mulaney: Kid Gorgeous
Who amongst us doesn't love John Mulaney? I was super excited for him to release a new special, and this one, thankfully, lived up to my own hype. Come for the "horse in the hospital," stay for the Street Smarts™.

Bull Durham
My dad has been telling me to watch this movie for literal years and in May, I finally did. And it was delightful! It's a rom-com and a baseball movie all in one, so honestly, what's not to love? Plus, it has Susan Sarandon as a woman who worships "the church of baseball," complete with an altar in her house. It's amazing.

BONUS: "Dirty Computer"
Normally, I wouldn't include a short film in a monthly round-up, but this one is just TOO GOOD. The production value and overall artistry is spectacular. Janelle Monáe is basically the coolest person on this planet -- and probably others. If you've listened to Dirty Computer, but haven't watched this "emotion picture" yet, do yourself a favor! You will not be disappointed. (Plus, the fashion! Inspo! I want every outfit every character wears, please and thanks.)

Map to the Stars
I started watching this film because it has actors in it that I like. I kept watching it because I couldn't look away...in the bad sense. It is, to put it mildly, incredibly weird. And while the actors do give interesting performances, it definitely wasn't for me at all. I regret watching it.

Ali Wong: Hard Knock Wife
Ali Wong's Baby Cobra is raw, raunchy and hilarious. Hard Knock Wife is all of those things, intensified. I loved that I came away from it feeling like it could be equally funny to mothers, people who never want children and everyone in between. It certainly made me respect and fear motherhood even more -- in equal measure.

Something's Gotta Give
I was wary going into this film because the premise seemed a little "eh" and I don't really care for Jack Nicholson. But I was pretty pleasantly surprised! It's no The Holiday, but the kitchen is pretty great and Keanu Reeves is in it, which is a good way to get me to like anything.

Fahrenheit 451
This movie is terrible. I like the book, and I was excited for this adaptation, despite the obvious irony. But I didn't like it at all. Instead of watching it, I suggest (re)reading the book, watching Black Mirror or just scrolling through pictures of Michael B. Jordan.

Tig Notaro: Happy to Be Here
I had heard of Tig before, but had never seen or heard any of her comedy prior to this special. And I adored it! I laughed out loud so much -- and it was also just so nice to see a comedian talk about her life with such pure joy. Not everything has to be cynical.

Case 39
I thought this was going to be one type of horror film/thriller and it ended up being another type that I generally like less (I'm being vague so as not to spoil it). But it was still pretty good! It was incredibly weird to see Renée Zellweger acting in this genre, but she did a serviceable job and the film is interesting the whole time, which can sometimes be an issue with thrillers.

The Tale
Man, this film. It is incredibly, intentionally uncomfortable. It is very complex. And it is extremely powerful. I encourage you to watch it, but also know I will never watch it again. I think I mean that as a compliment.

While We're Young
At one point in this film, one character says to another, "[We] always wondered, 'How are we gonna get old?' And the answer is...just like everyone else." It's a good quote that sums up the film's spirit. This is a surprising movie about being young and growing old, telling true stories and fiction and whether or not anyone owns or owes anything anymore. I liked it a lot.

Coco
I know I'm super late to the party on this one, but Coco blew me away. It is absolutely stunning, in every way. The artwork is breathtaking and the story is beautiful and engaging. I was straight-up sobbing by the end.

Also in May: I read Landline by Rainbow Rowell, a vaguely sci-fi romance that I liked much more than I expected to, and started Stephen King's 'Salem's Lot, which I haven't gotten very far in, but am enjoying. And I jammed to the songs on this playlist, which includes the Eagles, Camila Cabello and "Miami" by Will Smith because diversity is key.

2 comments:

  1. I also slept on Coco but I think it finds you when you need its heart most.

    Excuse me, now I need to go look at pictures of Michael B. Jordan.

    P.S. I'm glad you're still blogging. I will make a more deliberate effort to read and comment in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I somehow missed this comment, but thank you so much for reading this! I always wonder if anyone does <3

      I still have not recovered from Coco and almost watched it again this week. It is...so good.

      Delete