Saturday, October 2, 2021

September in Review

Last month, I only watched three new movies. This month, I only watched four. I think I overdid it last year watching 200 movies. But you know what? I'm fine with this slower pace.

Plus, I've been reading more, which is always a good thing.

In my last post, I discussed the arrival of Fake Fall™ and my watches this month are in keeping with my belief that spooky season can start whenever your heart desires.

Rewatch: Whip It. Well, this one isn't spooky or fall-ish, but Tim needed to see it. This is a Chicken Soup for the Soul movie for me. 

Stage Fright

This movie is both a musical and a slasher so it was either going to be brilliant or terrible. It's the latter. At one point in this movie, the killer incorporates a knife into a metal guitar solo and that's really all you need to know.

30 Days of Night

I've heard people sing this movie's praises for years, both for its unique take on vampires and just for being a great horror movie. And it is pretty unique! It's also very efficient with its runtime and story. No drawn-out backstories or shoehorned romance in this one.

Malignant

This movie is wild. For the first hour or so, I was really enjoying how visually stunning it is and how it was managing to blend a lot of horror subgenres together in a way that was really cool. I also love the music, which at times feels like a throwback to the horror films of the '00s. Then, at a certain point, the plot made me say "oh, WHAT?!" out loud in my empty living room. It stayed bananas from there. If you like horror movies at all, watch this one but don't read anything about it beforehand.

Insidious

I'm trying to broaden my horizons and give chances to movies I initially wrote off as "not my thing," which includes any Conjuring/Insidious/etc movie. This one was often very cliche, but it was honestly much more unique than I expected.

Rewatch: Practical Magic. Fall vibe perfection. Also slightly maddening because of how beautiful BOTH Nicole Kidman and Sandra Bullock are. Truly outrageous.

Rewatch: Scooby Doo and the Witch's Ghost. In this house, we pay respect to the classics.

I also watched all of Nine Perfect Strangers (meh) and Tim and I are watching Only Murders in the Building (fun) and Midnight Mass (unpredictable). 

And I'm not just keeping spooky season to my watches this year either. Aside from finishing Death on the Nile (my least favorite Agatha so far, but still good), I read When No One is Watching by Alyssa Cole (interesting concept) and We Sold Our Souls and The Final Girl Support Group, both by Grady Hendrix (both entertaining takes on common tropes). Now I'm reading The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson because, really, it's past time. 

Oh, I also turned 29 in September? And made time to dance with my friends at a club we've always loved and see Harry Styles. Not too shabby.

No comments:

Post a Comment