Wednesday, September 1, 2021

August in Review

A weird thing happened in August: I only watched three new movies. 

It's without a doubt a record low since I started keeping track of what I watch on this blog back in 2018. Possibly nothing is a bigger indicator for just how weird I've been feeling lately.

Because I'll be honest: August feels like it didn't even happen, with the exception of going to an actual concert (?!). There's a lot going on right now, and I can often feel lost in it. 

But there's good news: it's September now, one of my favorite months. Fake Fall™is upon us – the time of year when Texans pretend we have fall for more than approximately two weekends in October and half of November. Halloween decorations are "allowed" now (I don't make the rules). My birthday is next week, and I'm seeing Harry freaking Styles. 

The times refuse to be precedented, so we all just need to find joy where we can.

Vertigo

I was excited to watch this considering how much I enjoyed Rear Window last month, but I didn't really like it. I can't pinpoint any particular reason why, but it just wasn't for me. The music was very good though, as were the cars.

Rewatch: William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet. I haven't been doing a good job of keeping up with rewatches lately, but it was easier this month. I had seen approximately 80% of this so I'm saying it was a rewatch. I hated reading this play (more than once) as a teenager, but I firmly believe it would've helped if my school had shown this instead of the 1968 movie.

Rewatch: School of Rock. The most serotonin I received this month came from rewatching this absolute banger.

Brink!

Listen. Sometimes, one of your best friends quits the job that has made her miserable for years and you have to celebrate by watching Disney Channel Original Movies. I wish everyone could've seen the sheer joy when I told Melany and Maggie I had never seen this. And it was pretty fun! The tension between Brink and Val almost rivals that of Kelly and Jennifer in Cadet Kelly. Almost.

Rewatch: Smart House. See above. This movie is why I don't own an Alexa.

Dora and the Lost City of Gold

As Kevin put it, "Better than it has any right to be." The only correct way to watch this movie is with my particular friend group, so sorry to all of y'all who don't know us.

I got back into Six Feet Under this month and I'm nearing the finish line. It's a very odd show that dips in quality over time, but I like it and I'm excited to watch what is often considered the best series finale of all time. Tim and I have also been watching The X Files, which he has only seen pieces of, and Avatar the Last Airbender, which I have never seen. 

I also watched season one of American Horror Stories, which was surprisingly good except the episodes written by Ryan Murphy (duh), and I started watching Nine Perfect Strangers, which I think I like. Tim and I also just started Only Murders in the Building (v my type of thing), and I think I've decided to give up on the new Gossip Girl, at least for now.

I finally finished Nöthin' But a Good Time: The Uncensored History of the '80s Hard Rock Explosion, which felt like what I imagine finishing a marathon must feel like – a lot of work but worth it in the end. I also read all of Beach Read by Emily Henry (pretty cute and moderately spicy) and Survive the Night by Riley Sager, which I'm sad to say isn't good at all.

Tim and I are almost done with Death on the Nile and we think we've got part of it figured out, but Agatha has stumped us again on the rest. On my own, I've started When No One is Watching by Alyssa Cole, which I'm enjoying so far.

Happy September, y'all. We're gonna make it through somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment