Sunday, August 1, 2021

July in Review

While June felt like a month of transition in a good way – "settling further into the idea that life is kind-of for real happening again" – July was much harder. My long weekend in Philly to celebrate Tim's birthday was much-needed, but the last half of the month was difficult to say the least. 

In many ways, it too felt like a month of transition, but in a different way. A month of asking myself complicated questions that I haven't found the answers too. But thankfully, as August arrives, I feel myself (hopefully) coming out of the fog. 

Now to the regularly scheduled programming: a stacked lineup of very diverse watches.

Sour Prom

My typical "rule" for my watchlist is that something has to be at least a full hour (like a standup special, concert film or visual album) or be classified as a short film. Olivia Rodrigo's Sour Prom is something of a concert film/visual album crossover and it's only 30 minutes, so it doesn't meet any of the criteria – but I counted it anyway because I can do what I want. The visuals of Sour Prom were perfect, and Olivia is a star. Plus, I felt vaguely cool watching it because I also wore combat boots to a prom.

Fear Street: 1994

Fear Street: 1994 opens with what is undoubtedly a direct tribute to the opening scene of Scream, so my stance was secured immediately: it's delightful. I really enjoyed this first installment of the trilogy, which I think did a good job of balancing homage and originality. There's also a death in it that should go into the horror history books.

Independence Day

Nothing but respect for President Bill Pullman. I think I technically saw this in theaters when I was three years old and I had seen pieces of it throughout the years, but I'd never watched the whole thing. It was fun! Very American, much action. Also the first time that I full understood people's attraction to Jeff Goldblum. In this role, I get it.

Shiva Baby

An odd one. Technically some combination of dramedy and black comedy, it manages to also have some thriller vibes due to its great use of music. It made me uncomfortable in an intentional way that I appreciated, rather than an "ugh, I hate this" way. Also, Dianna Agron is in it. IYKYK.

Rear Window

Ok, Hitchcock, I see you. This was only my third Hitchcock film (others: Psycho, The Birds) and my first Grace Kelly and, man, it was great. In particular, the lighting was impeccable – but I guess if you’re working with a face like Grace Kelly’s, you better light it well. Also very fun to watch from the perspective of someone who has seen Disturbia many, many times.

Fear Street: 1978 

The weakest of the trilogy. It still had some stuff going for it and it managed to propel the story forward, but where 1994 balanced homage and originality well, this one got stuck in its Friday the 13th rut and what it tried to add only made the story messy.

Plan B

Pretty cute! Very similar to Unpregnant, which I loved (a little more than this one, if I'm being honest). It had a couple of laugh out loud moments, but it was the abstinence-only education representation for me.

Space Jam: A New Legacy

The word I keep going back to is "gross": Everything about it made me feel gross. 

Black Widow*

This movie is 10 years too late, but you know what? It was still good. The wait to release it is disrespectful to pretty much everyone, including the character Natasha, but I had a good time watching it. As always, Florence Pugh is the best part.

Inglorious Basterds

I honestly can't believe how much I liked this movie. I have a complicated relationship with Tarantino movies, but I liked every part of this one. It's a summer miracle.

Fear Street: 1666

This might've been my favorite of the trilogy. I thought it was a very satisfying conclusion, and it really is something to see a queer love story – actually two! – at the core of a horror series. 

Till Death

I thought this was pretty fun, and I don’t just say that because I’ve been in love with Megan Fox for over a decade. It's a movie that doesn't take itself too seriously and I appreciate that. However, there should only be one L in the title and it drives me crazy that there are two.

Ariana Grande: Excuse Me, I Love You

Sometimes, you're lonely and bored on a Friday night and you decide to watch the Ariana Grande concert film that's been in your queue for half a year. These things happen. Anyway, it was pretty cute, Scooter Braun appearances notwithstanding. Ariana is undoubtedly talented and I find her kind-of fascinating. I also have no idea how she does literally anything in the shoes she wears.

The Sparks Brothers

An interesting look at an important band that I'd never heard of. If you've considered watching this doc, go ahead and do it. I can't imagine how anyone could dislike it.

The Green Knight

Here's what I know for sure: Dev Patel is very handsome. I'm still processing exactly how I feel about this movie, but I did like it. There were moments typical of many A24 movies where I found myself going "ok, but why is this happening?," but unlike with other films, those moments didn't make the story so convoluted that I ended up not enjoying it. It is perhaps a little overly stylist, but the result is so beautiful that you can't be mad about it. Overall, worth the watch.


In the land of TV, Tim and I finished Mare of Easttown (mostly good, very brutal) and started watching The X Files together from the beginning. I rewatched the first season of Never Have I Ever before devouring the second (it's so good, y'all) and tried to take my time with Hacks, which was great. 

I tried to watch Apple TV+'s Physical but found it atrocious. And I've casually started watching both the new Gossip Girl (jury's still out – there are good elements but it's often very boring) and American Horror Stories (so far, more consistent than the original). Finally, this weekend, I've been indulging in ridiculous reality TV: Fboy Island (campy, dumb, definitely gonna watch all of it) and Love Is Blind: After the Altar. 

I've still be making my way through Nöthin' But a Good Time: The Uncensored History of the '80s Hard Rock Explosion and I've also been reading Beach Read by Emily Henry (cute!). On the last day of July, Tim and I started our fourth Agatha Christie, Death on the Nile.

Later this month, I'm supposed to attend my first concert in about two years. The pandemic situation is once again getting stressful, but I'm holding out hope I'll be able to dance with Betty Who, Kesha and my fellow sweaty, sparkly Austinites as planned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment