Thursday, March 31, 2022

March in Review

Spring has sprung and I'm feeling it. The green leaves and blossoming flowers, paired with an increasingly full calendar, have me feeling a little more like myself than I have in a long time. 

A little of this might be that SXSW was back this month. I got to watch and review five movies for work, which is something I still can't believe I get paid to do. It was also Tim's first time doing SXSW in any capacity, and it was really fun to show him the ropes. 

There's a lot going on in the next few months, both personally and professionally. But no matter how busy life outside my living room gets, I'll always be watching things. Here's March.

I Want You Back

I thought this was cute! Not perfect, but perfectly acceptable and I loved seeing Jenny Slate and Charlie Day in a rom-com. I also love when I can tell that the people behind a movie love When Harry Met Sally as much as I do.

The Power of the Dog

When I finished this film, I didn't really have any critiques but I felt really meh about it. Now I can only remember how long it was.

The Batman*

I saw someone say this was like if SE7EN was a Batman movie and I have nothing else to add except that I love to be catered to. Like all superhero movies, it's a little bit too long, but otherwise, it was everything I wanted it to be and maybe even a little more.

The Lost City

The first of my SXSW watches! This was extremely fun and I really hope its current box office success convinces Hollywood to make more adventure movies that are genuinely enjoyable. Joyous escapism! What a concept! Anyway, here's my full review. (SXSW bonus: Both Sandra Bullock and Daniel Radcliffe were at the premiere and, obviously, they are both delightful, but I'm still reeling from how funny Sandra is IRL.)

Slash/Back

One of the perks of SXSW is getting to see movies you might not ordinarily see. Slash/Back is extremely an indie, in the traditional sense, meaning lower budget and smaller cast. If you like Attack the Block and/or tough teen girls, you'll like this one.

Apollo 10 1/2

It is well-documented that I love Richard Linklater movies. And I wish I loved this one. Unfortunately, it feels like two halves of two different films. They're good halves, but trying to do both things harms the overall product. I also definitely liked one half (the more traditional Linklater part, just about growing up in a different time) much better than the other (the, uh, actual plot of the movie).

Mama Bears

I definitely did tear up more than once watching this film about formerly conservative moms who know fight tooth-and-nail for their LGBTQ children. 

Bodies Bodies Bodies

My final SXSW watch of the year was a wild ride. It's nearly impossible to talk about it without giving anything away – which made for an interesting review challenge – but I will say the ending is incredible.

Windfall

I really liked this one. Jesse Plemons is fantastic as always and I've missed seeing Jason Segel in things. Felt very Hitchcock-inspired.

Turning Red

Unlike most, I didn't absolutely love this. But it was pretty fun and unexpected and I'm glad it exists. We need more content that just lets girls be young and weird.

Tick, Tick...Boom!

I put off watching this because I was sure it would devastate me and it did, in fact, break my heart. It's a film that was made by and for people who know what the world lost when it lost Jonathan Larson. Andrew Garfield is good as always.

They Live

I'm glad I finally watched this. I don't know that it's "good," necessarily, but it is enjoyable and unique. I also had no idea it's where “I came here to chew bubblegum...” came from.

X*

I really loved the other two Ti West films I've seen (The Innkeepers and The House of the Devil) so I was stoked to learn he was making a slasher and that A24 was involved and so it would get a larger audience. It lived up to my hype. I loved everything about it, including but not limited to the involvement of teen queen Brittany Snow.

Level 16

I had moderate expectations, but I thought this was really good! Twisty in a way that was just enough and not too much. Even when I got close to guessing what was going on, the reveals still felt satisfying.

In TV land, Tim and I have been finishing series and starting their sequels. We finished Avatar and started The Legend of Korra, and we also finished Breaking Bad and started Better Call Saul. We also enjoyed Netflix's Noir and I watched all three episodes of The Principles of Pleasure. Simultaneously, we're watching Orphan Black, one of my all-time favorite shows and one Tim has never seen.

I've been reading 'Salem's Lot, my sixth Stephen King, and I'm also reading Emergency Contact by Mary H.K. Choi for #ICYMI Book Club.

I've got some exciting stuff coming up in April and May, including friends' birthdays, a book event and two concerts. Spring is treating me pretty well and I'm going to soak up the good while I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment