Monday, February 28, 2022

February in Review

I personally am not sad to see February go and, despite the fact that March is always a mess, I welcome it with open arms. It's officially time to start pretending it's spring. 

One good thing about February is that I actually saw quite a few good movies! I also saw Death on the Nile.

The Eyes of Tammy Faye 

First, Jim Bakker is a demon. Second, I've always been fascinated by Tammy Faye Bakker and had wanted to see this film since it was first announced. It does a pretty good job of telling the tale of Tammy's life while still letting the audience make its own final judgement about her. Chastain never misses and she'd be my #1 Oscars pick if I wasn't pulling for Kristen.

Rewatch: Annihilation and Ex Machina. Still both absolute bangers. I'm peak Film Bro™ when I'm watching Alex Garland.

Rewatch: 10 Things I Hate About You. For Valentine’s Day, obviously. I’ve already made Tim watch a lot of my favorite rom-coms, but he was overdue to see this classic.

Rewatch: All eight Harry Potter movies. Tim had also, incredibly, only seen four of the HP movies and it had been ages. Now he's seen the extended versions with bonus constant commentary.

Antlers

I really, really liked this one. It's unique, brutal and genuinely terrifying in more ways than one.

Death on the Nile*

Obviously, this movie is awful. When Tim and I watched Kenneth Branagh's abysmal adaptation of Murder on the Orient Express, we knew we would watch every other one he makes "based" on Agatha Christie books we've read because it's important to sometimes watch bad movies. We saw it in theaters exclusively so that we wouldn't have to cook dinner.

Rewatch: Fargo. Still one of the best Coens Brothers movies, but not the best Coen Brothers movie (that's O Brother, Where Art Thou?).

Frank

Tim had been trying to get me to watch this one for a while and I kept resisting because it looked like something I was going to hate. But I thought it was very charming! Domhnall Gleeson is great and it has a very 2009-2014 twee feel. I can't explain this – if you know, you know.

Train to Busan

This was much sadder than I anticipated, but it was also very stressful and very good. Don Lee's character absolutely rules.

Tim and I continued watching all our shows (we're in the final seasons of Breaking Bad and Avatar, caught up on The Righteous Gemstones and nowhere near finished with The X Files). I've also been watching How I Met Your Father (it's cute!) and season two of Love Is Blind (amazing, obviously). We also finally bought into the hype and started Euphoria. I've been handling it better than I thought I would, but it’s still very stressful.

I finished up God Spare the Girls (meh), read The Charm Offensive by Alison Cochrun for ICYMI Book Club (cute!) and read Chasing the Boogeyman by Richard Chizmar (excellent). I'm skipping book club this month because, as mentioned, March is a mess, so I'm not sure what's next on my to-read list.

No comments:

Post a Comment